2002 Junior County Championship Final                                                 ABBEYDORNEY  2-8    ST BRENDANS  1-8

At Lerrig on Saturday evening, reigning champions Abbeydorney collected their third Junior Hurling Championship title in a row, with a hard-earned victory over a gallant St Brendan's side. The Ardfert side had the advantage of a stiff breeze in the first half and led 1-2 to 0-2 after 10 minutes but Abbeydorney, with the aid of two goals, finished the half stronger and led 2-5 to 1-3 at the interval.
An early second half point made it double scores but Sean McCrochan kept St Brendans in touch from a free and with four minutes remaining the difference  was down to just two points but substitute John O'Sulivan ensured an O'Dorney victory  with a well taken point in the 28th minute. St Brendans came in search of the equalising goal, but Abbeydorney ran out deserving winners.
Pat Donegan had an early wide for St Brendans before James O'Halloran opened the scoring  for an Ardfert point from halfway in the second minute. Tom Rice had a point at the other end straight away and soon after Ger Maunsell pointed into the lead with a fine point. Eamonn Ferris equalised after eight minutes and the same player kicked a fine goal for St. Brendan's soon after following a fine catch in front of his marker; This put St Brendans 1-2 to 0-2 up but Abbeydorney struck back in style. Bill Maunsell pulled on a long free by Kieran Hannafin and the ball finished up in the net to tie the scores once more; the play was fast and the ball was moving quickly around the pitch,with both sides creating more scoring chances. Martin Ferris  was wide from halfway for St Brendans before Sean McCrohan pointed a 16th minute free following a foul on Brendan Flaherty. At the other end Kieran Hannafin  collected a loose ball and shot over  a fine Abbeydorney point. Hannafin was involved in Abbeydorney's next goal; He sent in a long range free which St. Brendans defence failed to clear and Ger Maunsell was in the right place at the right time to goal from close range.
Sean McCrohan from a 65  and Tom Rice from play swapped wides before Rice had a fine point following good work by Ger Maunsell; Kieran Hannafin brought the first half scoring to an end when he pointed a free when he was fouled himself; this left the Abbeydorney side ahead  at the break 2-5 to 1-3.
St. Brendans selectors rang the changes at the break  with Tommy O'Conner replacing Brendan Flaherty. Sean McCrochan  and Kieran Hannafin  swapped early wides  before Conor Kearney pointed from play following good work by Hannafin. McCcrohan pointed  a free 1 minute later and had another  in the 10th minute. St  Brendans were exerting pressure at this point and McCrohan pointed a 17th minute free; Abbeydorney sub  Tim Fealy relieved the pressure when he pointed a free for a foul on John Sullivan but Sean McCrohan pointed two frees in the 22nd & 26th minute. Sub John O'Sullivan scored the insurance point in the 28th and Ardfert had 1 last chance at goals but went wide before referee Gerry Gleeson blew full time.
After game Jerome Conway presented The Junior Cup to captain Bill Maunsell
ABBEYDORNEY: Richard O'Brien, David Clifford, John McKenna, David Fahy, Mikey Leahy, Ber McElligott, Kieran Dineen, David Moore, Kieran Hannafin (0-1), Hughie O'Connell, Conor Kearney (0-1), Tom Rice (0-2), Bill Maunsell (capt) (1-0), Ger Maunsell (1-1),  Paudie Dineen. SUBS: John O'Sullivan (0-1), Tim Fealy (0-1), David Doyle
ST BRENDANS: Patrick McNamera, Eoin Lawlor, Ger Pierce, Tony O'Halloran, Jonathan Best, Martin Ferris, Noel Clifford, Brendan Flaherty, James O'Halloran (0-1), Patrick Donegan, Stephen Wallace, Paul Sheehan, Eamonn Ferris (1-1), Sean McCrohan (0-6), Sean Stack. SUBS: Tommy O'Connor & Brendan Courtney.
REFEREE: Gerry Gleeson, John Mitchels